Re: Question on CVE-2017-5754 on Debian 8.9

Hi,

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 22:43:57 +0000
Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@gmail.com> wrote:

> ​Should it not be ARCH =​x86-64 rather than amd64.
>
> It is so confusing.

Hmm, to be honest, I don't know. As I said, if you build for amd64 on an
amd64 system, you don't need to care about that, the current system's
architecture is the default.

And fyi, meanwhile I couldn't stop myself from booting siduction once
more. Installing one package or other taht people in archived mailing
lists suggested didn't help. Removing upper case characters from the path
neither. Then I tried and removed my clumsy attempts to force the use of
gcc-8 and found that with gcc-7 everything appears to work fine.
A closer look at what I am doing revealed that even the simple
'yes ""|  make oldconfig' threw errors when using gcc-8. Seems like there
is a non-trivial problem here. The error message about the
missing /debian directory seems misleading, actually here there was some
C-code snippet underlined in red (printed just above that error message)
which I assume is likely the real problem. Maybe the best bet is to wait
until gcc-7.3 arrives in testing.

Regards

Michael

A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and
licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
		-- Dr. Boyce, "The Menagerie" ("The Cage"), stardate
unknown