Re: Question on CVE-2017-5754 on Debian 8.9

On 24 January 2018 at 16:19, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 03:49:08PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> If you can be sid and experimental together then I guess [...]

Experimental is not a release.  You can't "be experimental".  It is
merely a place where individual packages are uploaded, when they are
considered "not ready to be in unstable yet".

Typically the package maintainer EXPECTS these packages to have bugs,
and wants focused help from people who are familiar with the package
to find and squish them.  Or, the package may be uploaded in a "known
broken" condition because it could still be useful in highly specialized
circumstances, where the new features outweigh the known bugs.

The packages in experimental do NOT automatically migrate into unstable
or testing.  They are not part of the normal package lifecycle.

To use a package from experimental, you must download it directly, and
install it directly.  You don't use apt or its cousins, unless it's
to backfill dependencies (apt-get -f install) from your actual release.

​I fired up Debian stretch here and ran the following:​

​r​
oot@mikef-PC:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Ign:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
Hit:2 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch Release
Hit:3 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
root@mikef-PC:/etc/apt# apt-get -t experimental install linux-headers-4.15.0-rc8-all-amd64
Reading package lists... Done

​and got the following error:​

E: The value 'experimental' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

​Mysources file looks like this:​

root@mikef-PC:/etc/apt# more sources.list
#

###### Debian Main Repos
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main experimental contrib non-free

###### Debian Update Repos
deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free

deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free

root@mikef-PC:/etc/apt#

Is the error caused by me trying to run apt at all here ie I should use some other command to install the linux image file?

Comments appreciated.

Michael Fothergill​