Re: Question on CVE-2017-5754 on Debian 8.9

On 2018-01-24 at 11:51, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> ​I fired up Debian stretch here and ran the following:​
>

> ​r​
> oot@mikef-PC:/etc/apt# apt-get update
> Ign:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
> Hit:2 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch Release
> Hit:3 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
> Reading package lists... Done
> root@mikef-PC:/etc/apt# apt-get -t experimental install
> linux-headers-4.15.0-rc8-all-amd64
> Reading package lists... Done
>
> ​and got the following error:​
>

> E: The value 'experimental' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a
> release is not available in the sources
>
> ​Mysources file looks like this:​
>

> root@mikef-PC:/etc/apt# more sources.list
> #
>

> ###### Debian Main Repos
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main experimental contrib
> non-free

stretch is a suite; more specifically, it is a codename for something
that used to be AKA "stable".

main, contrib, and non-free are components within stretch.

experimental is not part of stable, testing, or unstable. It is its own
suite. It goes in place of 'stretch' in the line, not into the list of
components after the suite.

As the (badly line-wrapped) script from a few posts ago would indicate,
you need a line reading something like

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free

--
   The Wanderer