Re: Packages web page, was Re: Aptitude package manager "package"

On 1/24/18, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 09:05:08AM -0600, David Wright wrote:

>> So forget using this page for anything really vague like kernel-image,
>> even if you set suite, section and then architecture; it can't even
>> show you the most basic generic versions like linux-image-686-pae, but
>> only "You have searched for packages that [sic] names contain
>> kernel-image
>> in suite(s) stretch, all★ sections, and architecture(s) amd64." and
>> "Your keyword was too generic. Please consider using a longer keyword
>> or more keywords."
>
> I do use that page as a second source, whenever I don't understand
> what apt/aptitude are trying to tell me -- or whenever I'm looking
> up something for a distribution I currently don't have access to.
> For that, the page is invaluable to me, despite its defficiencies.
>
> YMMV, and all that :-)

Absolutely. Searching packages for releases I don't have parked on a
partition at the moment is the biggest reason I turn to that webpage
these days. That type of search will most often be because of an
inquiry someone has made here on Debian-User. Seems like most often it
will be about the availability of packages that maybe Developers have
held back or some suchly.. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey