Re: Question on CVE-2017-5754 on Debian 8.9

On 24 January 2018 at 11:21, Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@gmail.com> wrote:

On 24 January 2018 at 10:53, Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@gmail.com> wrote:

The neowin link above has a link to a Phoronix article[1], which
suggests you need GCC 8.0, or maybe 7.3 if a backport succeeds. That was
9 days ago, of course ... Stretch only has 6.3, and even sid only has
7.2, so I don't see it hitting debian soon.

Richard

[1]
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.9-4.14-Retpoline

​Some new patches are coming soon:

I have posted a query on the gentoo forum asking if I have a recent enough version of gcc etc for the retpoline.

There is a test program you can install and run and it will tell you if both the meltdown and spectre patched are installed which I will try out.

Looks like your all going to have to run the latest kernels....(J)

Regards

MF

​PS I installed the spectre meltdown checker and ran it:djt /home/mikef/spectre-meltdown-checker # ./spectre-meltdown-checker.sh
Spectre and Meltdown mitigation detection tool v0.32

Checking for vulnerabilities on current system
Kernel is Linux 4.14.14-gentoo #1 SMP Tue Jan 23 13:06:23 GMT 2018 x86_64
CPU is AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G

CVE-2017-5753 [bounds check bypass] aka 'Spectre Variant 1'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  NO  (kernel confirms your system is vulnerable)
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (Vulnerable)

CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] aka 'Spectre Variant 2'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  NO  (kernel confirms your system is vulnerable)
* Mitigation 1
  * Hardware support (CPU microcode)
    * Indirect Branch Restricted Speculation (IBRS)
      * SPEC_CTRL MSR is available:  NO
      * CPU indicates IBRS capability:  NO
    * Indirect Branch Prediction Barrier (IBPB)
      * PRED_CMD MSR is available:  NO
      * CPU indicates IBPB capability:  NO
  * Kernel is compiled with IBRS/IBPB support:  NO
  * Currently enabled features
    * IBRS enabled for Kernel space:  NO
    * IBRS enabled for User space:  NO
    * IBPB enabled:  NO
* Mitigation 2
  * Kernel compiled with retpoline option:  YES
  * Kernel compiled with a retpoline-aware compiler:  NO  (kernel reports minimal retpoline compilation)
  * Retpoline enabled:  YES
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (Vulnerable: Minimal AMD ASM retpoline)

CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load] aka 'Meltdown' aka 'Variant 3'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (kernel confirms that your CPU is unaffected)
* Kernel supports Page Table Isolation (PTI):  YES
* PTI enabled and active:  NO
* Running under Xen PV (64 bits):  NO
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (your CPU vendor reported your CPU model as not vulnerable)

A false sense of security is worse than no security at all, see --disclaimer
djt /home/mikef/spectre-meltdown-checker #

ie it's there but GCC 7.2 can't install it.

If you look at the discussion here:

you will see that I need to install gcc 7.3.0rc1

time to compile your own kernels...

Cheers

MF

​PPS