Re: stretch and DNS name resolution service for other devices on a LAN

On Fri 19 Jan 2018 at 08:47:25 (-0500), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:45:23AM -0000, Andy Hawkins wrote:
> > Apologies for the slight thread hijack.
> >
> > What would people recommend for a home LAN DNS server that is authoritative
> > for a single domain, providing A, AAAA, PTR (both IPv4 and IPv6), NS and
> > CNAME records to that domain?
>
> My only experience is with bind8, bind9, and tinydns (from djbdns).

… and mine's less than that. I stick to /etc/hosts.

> I've never used IPv6 for anything.  None of the networks that I deal
> with use IPv6, period.  They don't even have the option.

I have one valuable use for IPv6 which is point-to-point connections.
I plug a CAT5 cable into the two ends and use predefined functions
to bulk-transfer files with scp. Why?
1) I don't have to touch the IPv4 configuration,
2) We can still watch TV; ie the router doesn't get swamped.

> I have to wonder what kind of home you live in, that requires local
> IPv6.  Most homes are small enough that you can get by with the roughly
> 2^24 addresses available in the private IPv4 ranges (10/8, 192.168/16,
> and 172.16/12).
>
> So, my first pick would be tinydns, and forget about IPv6.  But I may
> not be the best person to try to address whatever your needs are.

Cheers,
David.