Re: stretch and DNS name resolution service for other devices on a LAN

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 02:34:50PM -0700, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Can someone please point me to intelligible instructions as to how to have the
> stretch box respond correctly to remote DNS requests coming in over the local
> network?

Install a name server.  Make sure it's listening on your LAN address,
not (just) on 127.0.0.1.  Configure it to respond however you need.

> This seems to be one of those things that systemd has taken over ("named" is
> no longer available in the repository, for example, presumably because it's no
> longer needed),

The pacakge for ISC's BIND is called bind9.

This would certainly do the job, but it's massively overkill for a simple
home LAN DNS server.  Nevertheless, if it's what you already know, there
is benefit in using the known but overengineered tool rather than learning
a new tool.