Re: stretch and DNS name resolution service for other devices on a LAN

Hi

On 19/01/18 15:08, Andy Hawkins wrote:

I guess I don't *need* IPv6, but as a technology geek it's just something I
wanted to play around with. I've set up a tunnel with Hurricane Electric
that gets me a fully routable IPv6 prefix that I can assign an address from
to each of the devices on my LAN.

If you have got your own IPv6 /48 combined with RFC1918 IPv4 then split horizon DNS is probably a good idea;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-horizon_DNS

I do use a 192.168/16 for my local IPv4 addressing, but given that moving
forward IPv6 is likely to become more and more available, I thought it worth
having a play with. I can now (if I want) allow IPv6 access to every device
on my internal network without having to worry about NAT and port forwarding
to get connections through my firewall.

Thanks for the pointer to tinydns, I'll take a look.

AFAIK Bind is the only named with a good split horizon implementation.

Regards,
Rob