Re: Secure email server setup

On Mon 15 Jan 2018 at 16:22:26 -0500, Henning Follmann wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 08:42:34PM +0000, Brian wrote:

> > > This however is a valid question. A full functional mailserver requires
> > > effort and administrative knowledge to setup properly. And your question
> > > already hints that the latter is no there yet.
> >
> > All things computer-related require effort and administrative knowledge
> > to setup properly if anything out of the ordinary is being done. "do you
> > really need emailserver of this kind" is an indication of something bad
> > in the state of email.
> >
> > Don't do it your way or take advantage of what the net provides appears
> > to be the message. Your intentions are verging on the incompetent, or,
> > maybe, you are bucking the trend, just use Google like everyone else
> > is the message.
> >

> Well,
> honestly I always thought it is very beneficial to run your own mailserver.
> But it is also one of the most difficult tasks to master. We have come a

Agreed. Although the Debian exim documentation makes an excellent
contribution to getting users off the ground.

> long way from setting up a sendmail server with its unique M4 syntax, but
> still you have to understand more than just setting up a smtp server. You
> need to understand DNS, SSL, TLS. You have to master at least one form of
> authentication method and avoid any possible relay desasters.
> Because all this is potentially hard to understand. This was my thought

Agreed. There are many pitfalls to avoid.

> behind my comment. I would like to encourage anybody to try and set this
> up. However this will take some time before this should be practiced on an
> openly connected server.

Having a fully operating mail server is very satisfying but your point
is well-taken. The risk of mucking up a server for an important task is
not to be taken lightly.

--
Brian.