Re: Secure email server setup

J.W. Foster wrote:

> I am looking for a reliable step by step process for setting up an email
> server located on an existing website server. I have installed;  exim4
> light, dovecot, Thunderbird, OpenSSL, and TLS security. I have tried
> following several bits of documentation regarding this with some success,
> but as with every time I try this, I open up my system to SPAM at a
> ridiculous rate. I want to eliminate that and get this mail server fully
> operational. I am seeking a well-documented approach that I can follow. I
> am using current Debian Stretch and the server is primarily a Mediawiki
> system where I NEED  mail available. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!John

you don't usually install a mail server for each application and make it
public

you usually relay the mail traffic to dedicated mail server.
this dedicated mail server takes care of the mail exchange with the world.
this mail server is responsible for filtering spam or signing messages, so
that they won't be rejected by other mail servers.

reconsider your design. otherwise you should set up an official mail server
with all it takes.

regards