Re: Secure email server setup

On Sun 14 Jan 2018 at 16:43:53 -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sunday, January 14, 2018 02:26:03 PM Brian wrote:
> > >
> > > Some clarification would help:
> > >    * Do youi really need an email server on this machine, or do you just
> > >    need
> > >
> > > the capability to send and receive email?  I guess I'm not familiar
> > > enough with Mediawiki--does it need an email server?
> > >
> > > In my (old) installations of TWiki, the ability to send and receive email
> > > was all I needed.
> >
> > If you did not use a mail server, you were not *receiving* email but,
> > more than likely, *collecting* it.
>
> Ok, but it worked and did what I needed to do.  And how many people would
> perceive a difference between receiving it and collecting it in casual usage of
> those words and in this context?

Not many in this context, probably. But precision and the desire to
educate has never been amongst the strong points of commentators on
email. You would soon notice the difference if you had to collect
your mail from a Royal Mail office instead of having it delivered.
Apart from having to travel to collect it, "spam" control is handled
differently in each case.

--
Brian.