Re: Installing and running legacy software (was Re: Problem using "dpkg -i")

On 01/15/2018 03:57 AM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 01:32:07AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
A long time ago I had used Amaya, a HTML editor available at <https://www.w3.org/Amaya/Distribution/amaya_11.4.7-1_i386.deb>.
I know, it's OLD. But I've used it ;/

I did:
dpkg -i /home/richard/Downloads/amaya_11.4.7-1_i386.deb

Received error message:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of amaya:
amaya depends on libssl0.9.8 (>= 0.9.8m-1); however:
 Package libssl0.9.8 is not installed.

However Synaptic indicates that libssl1.0.2 is installed.

Questions:
1. Can I "fix" the install?

The short answer is: yes, there are several approaches, I'll outline the
skeletons of some below, but they are quite complex and have caveats and
I would not recommend trying these for beginners (not that you are a
beginner...)

Years do not necessarily mean expertise ;/

[snip]

If *that* worked, you could investigate repacking the amaya .deb with the
compatibility symlink in it and the dependencies edited, and installing
the result; or, just run it out of the unpacked location above.

However this is awkward, error prone etc.; out of scope for my mail here
but this class of problem is better addressed using container technology
IMHO, like Flatpak (or Docker at a pinch); but the work needs to be done
to prepare containers with legacy dependencies within them for such
software and that has not been done yet so far as I know.

Not sure I've competency to effectively follow your outline.
I was assuming I had a syntax error of some sort.

2. Is there a recommended HTML editor in the repository that"
  A. simple UI
  B. can render the code so I can tell if my changes display
     as intended?

I can't answer this question because I am not familiar with a particular tool that does this, but I would recommend investigating this option
thoroughly before resorting to #1.

No argument ;/
I've WinXP box. I'll try the Windows version. It wont be as convenient but as it has no internet connectivity the security issues should be minimized.

Thanks.