Re: [semi-OT] temperature/humidity/flood sensor recommendations

On 01/08/2018 04:57 PM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

Hi all,

This is semi-OT but I am curious to know what temperature/humidity/flood
sensors everyone out there has experience with.

I am looking for something to use at home, but I would like to stay away
from WiFi and smart home devices.  Basically, I am looking for something
simple, which plugs into Ethernet, and makes its data available via HTTP
and/or telnet (or any other simple text-based protocol).  If it includes
some other fancy features (e.g., sending email alerts, SNMP traps, etc.)
then that is OK too.  I don't care whether it does onboard data storage.

I intend to integrate this with my own existing monitoring solution that
already includes Icinga, some custom scripts, logcheck alerts, and a few
other odds and ends (e.g., email alerts from apcupsd for power outages).

Any suggestions?

Regards,

-Roberto

Maybe you could think about some of those sensors:

https://www.modmypi.com/electronics/sensors-347/temperhum-usb-temperature-and-humidity-sensor/
https://www.modmypi.com/electronics/sensors-347/temper-gold-original-usb-temperature-sensor
https://www.modmypi.com/electronics/sensors-347/temper2-usb-dual-temperature-sensor/

For example, I managed to get some incomplete results with TEMPerHUM temperature & humidity sensor and temper-python (https://github.com/padelt/temper-python) in Wheezy. I sent my reports to ModMyPi, www.modmypi.com, to post them on their website. You may check there. I wish I had an option to get the monitored data written into a file that, in turn, my amateur radio software could recognize as a source of APRS 'weather data'. (When I experimented with that sensor, a command executed in CLI only returned a single line of data at a time, so that did not satisfy my needs. So I would appreciate whether temper-python or some other software could be upgraded in that direction.)

Misko