Re: history issue - bug?

On Sun 14 Jan 2018 at 18:25:09 +0100, Hans wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 14. Januar 2018, 12:14:47 CET schrieb bw:
> > On Sun, 14 Jan 2018, Hans wrote:
> > > Am Sonntag, 14. Januar 2018, 08:41:21 CET schrieb David Wright:
> > > Hi David,
> > >
> > > thanks for enlightening me. I always though, that "history -c" would clear
> > > all the history and its files as the help file says:
> > >
> > > -c        clear the history list by deleting all of the entries
> > >
> > > So IMO this should delete all related history files, even bash_history.
> >
> > Shouldn't it do what it says it will do?
> >
> > It says "clear... the list" it does not say delete files.  I can't answer
> > the question about how long it has been this way, but I'm sure it is
> > documented, so maybe look that up before fiing a bug about it?
>
> It looks like we understand different.

Indeed. It's not unusual for this to happen, even amongst native
speakers of English (or any other language, I presumme).

> -c        clear the history list by deleting all of the entries
>
> It says: .....ALL of the entries

Correct.

> IMHO all means ALL, regardless in which file or if in memory.
> Otherwise this command would not make any sense, too.

You are the one who is imposing "...in which file or if in memory....".
All does mean ALL (you're not a politician, are you :) ). The commands
used in a session are saved in memory in a *list* and written to a
*file* when you log out.

> Of course, one can see it in another way than me...

Search on "history list" in the bash manual.

--
Brian.