Re: history issue - bug?

Am Sonntag, 14. Januar 2018, 08:41:21 CET schrieb David Wright:
Hi David,

thanks for enlightening me. I always though, that "history -c" would clear all
the history and its files as the help file says:

-c        clear the history list by deleting all of the entries

So IMO this should delete all related history files, even bash_history.

And as far as I remember, this did it do in former times.

In my eyes this is a security hole, as someone, who gaines root somehow (what
already is bad eneough) might get more informations of commands, root did in
the past.

As I said, history -c should delete ALL traces of history, just as the help
files tells, shouldn't it? As you confirmed, it does not and you also
confirmed, that this is normal behaviour.

In this case, I recommend this as a failure-by-design.

Again, thanks for your clearence, I will file a bug report.

Best

Hans