Re: history issue - bug?

Am Sonntag, 14. Januar 2018, 12:14:47 CET schrieb bw:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2018, Hans wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 14. Januar 2018, 08:41:21 CET schrieb David Wright:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > thanks for enlightening me. I always though, that "history -c" would clear
> > all the history and its files as the help file says:
> >
> > -c        clear the history list by deleting all of the entries
> >
> > So IMO this should delete all related history files, even bash_history.
>
> Shouldn't it do what it says it will do?
>
> It says "clear... the list" it does not say delete files.  I can't answer
> the question about how long it has been this way, but I'm sure it is
> documented, so maybe look that up before fiing a bug about it?

It looks like we understand different.

-c        clear the history list by deleting all of the entries

It says: .....ALL of the entries

IMHO all means ALL, regardless in which file or if in memory.
Otherwise this command would not make any sense, too.

Of course, one can see it in another way than me...

Cheers

Hans