Re: Frustration over Debian naming (was: Re: Meltdown fix for wheezy-backports)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, January 13, 2018 09:07:58 AM bw wrote:
> > It is a good point, however have you considered the effect of a visual
> > association along with a word and a number?
<snip>

> For me, no--why should I go to that trouble, and even if I did, I'd still have
> the issue of which is the latest, so I'd have to do something like visualize
> them in some sort of sequence, e.g., a row.

Well, the 'why' was just a suggestion that a visual might help with the
brain game of remembering things that are difficult.  Also, there are
other people in the world that have different brains, and might not care
what is the latest, only what is 'stable' and stretch is stable,
not '9 is stable' or '9.3 is stable' that would not sound right to me,
but like I said I have a bad brain.

> forget with way they said it)--if a Toy Story name applies to any sub-version
> of a numbered version(like wheezy meaning anything between 7.0 and 7.7 (or
> whatever the highest is), I get a lot more information from the numbers than
> from the Toy Story name.

It's an interesting discussion, I appreciate your point of view.  I don't
get any information from the version numbers, I just run stable, and
stretch is stable, buster is testing, and debian has apt which takes care
of the heavy brain work for me.

Thanks again.
bw