Re: Frustration over Debian naming (was: Re: Meltdown fix for wheezy-backports)

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 09:07:58 AM bw wrote:
> It is a good point, however have you considered the effect of a visual
> association along with a word and a number?  For instance, everytime I
> think of debian "stretch" i see a purple octopus.  For "buster" I see a
> yapping little dachshund weiner dog in my mind...

For me, no--why should I go to that trouble, and even if I did, I'd still have
the issue of which is the latest, so I'd have to do something like visualize
them in some sort of sequence, e.g., a row.

> I never think of numbered versions, that is so win3.11ish...

Off hand, I can't think of any software that doesn't have numbered version at
some level (except some one off type of stuff that never had a revision).

Even Debian uses numbered versions--the Toy Story names are just alternate
names for the numbered versions.

And, if as someone seemed to mention / imply (or I inferred), if (well I
forget with way they said it)--if a Toy Story name applies to any sub-version
of a numbered version(like wheezy meaning anything between 7.0 and 7.7 (or
whatever the highest is), I get a lot more information from the numbers than
from the Toy Story name.