Re: Frustration over Debian naming (was: Re: Meltdown fix for wheezy-backports)

On 13-01-2018, at 09h 07'58", bw wrote about "Re: Frustration over Debian naming (was: Re: Meltdown fix for wheezy-backports)"
> > On Friday, January 12, 2018 11:14:37 PM Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
> > > On 12-01-2018, at 15h 03'25", David Wright wrote about "Re: Frustration
> > > over Debian naming (was: Re: Meltdown fix for wheezy-backports)"

> > > I do not take sides here, but I can't accept this statement. Numbers
> > > are universal, Debian release names are English. I do not use any of
> > > then (numbers or names). I simply have a look in /etc/apt/sources when
> > > I need to know what version of Debian I use at the moment, and I am
> > > using Debian before potato... (yes, I look into my /etc/apt/sources
> > > file to pull that name).
> > >
> > +1 (And thanks for amplifying / clarifying (and defending) the point I tried
> > to make!)
> >

> It is a good point, however have you considered the effect of a visual
> association along with a word and a number?  For instance, everytime I
> think of debian "stretch" i see a purple octopus.  For "buster" I see a
> yapping little dachshund weiner dog in my mind...
>
> I never think of numbered versions, that is so win3.11ish...

As I said I do not take sides.

When I was in school I never could understood why the math teacher
insisted to draw the problem before you attempt to solve it (in
geometry class). I could solve any problem without the "mandatory"
drawings. If anything I would solve the problem then make the drawing.
(I never told any of my math teacher this.)

So, visual association is very personal. You can't make it universal.
The same with names. They are subjective. Most people feel the need
to name thinks (we are all humans), but fail to understand that it is
not universal. I tend to call my gps Gigel (reads something like
djeedgel). But I do not use this name when refer to it to other people
(except here to make my point). So yes, I accept the Debian release
codenames, but I do not use it. I check in my /etc/apt/sources.list to
see what is that. I also do not use the numbered versions. They are
not consistent. I do not know which one is Debian 8.0. I will google
for that.

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#
#standard
#deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ wheezy main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ squeeze main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ potato main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ slink main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ hamm main non-free contrib

#security
#deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ woody/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ potato/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ slink/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ hamm/updates main contrib non-free

stretch was there because I had to do a dist-downgrade (long story...)

This is my last contribution to this thread.

Best regards,
 Ionel