Keyboard language randomly changes to Arabic(?)

Hi everyone,

I've encountered a strange problem where my keyboard layout/language changes when I'm typing. I'm running on Debian buster, upgraded with all the latest updates. But I think this problem has been around for a while (a few months at least). It is reproducible.

1. Open an xfce4-terminal or Libre Office Writer (and I suspect other programs will work too)
2. Type slowly the "pipe" character followed by the "space" character: "| ". This will produce the desired results.
3. Type rapidly the above two character combination and the keyboard language changes. As you can guess, this two character combination is extremely common when typing on the command line, and having the keyboard language change mid stream is not good.

To the best of my knowledge, the keyboard language changes from English to what I think is Arabic (which runs from right to left). But it might be one of the other right to left languages from that part of the world.

I have no clue how to change back to English other than killing and restarting the affected program, which is highly annoying.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and does anyone know a fix?

Cheers,

Tim

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.