Re: Debian iso installation incorrectly sets sources.list

On 2018-01-10 at 05:41, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 23:34 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> If the entry was not changed to be commented out during the
>> conclusion of the initial OS install procedure, that sounds like an
>> issue indeed, although a relatively minor one. But the inclusion of
>> the entry in sources.list is not an error, and ceasing to include
>> such entries there at all would be problematic.
>
> The sources.list entry is for a cdrom that does not exist: the
> install method was via a USB stick. That certainly seems like a bug
> to me (and one that I've hit before myself: but I have not checked
> whether it is already reported.)
>
> Even if the OP left the install USB plugged into their machine, the
> sources.list line would never work.

I was assuming that, since the reason why this line is put there in the
first place is to enable the installer to find its package files, and
the install worked, the line was syntactically correct for enabling the
packages on the install device to be found. In other words, that the
'cdrom: ' pseudo-protocol name was a historical wart, and that the logic
which handles it would Do The Right Thing.

In hindsight after sleeping, this is not necessarily valid; Steve
McIntyre has already pointed out another assumption I hadn't realized I
was making, regarding the reason why the line wasn't commented out (when
I'd always seen it be), and it's entirely possible that there are
similarly invalid assumptions underlying my logic above.

--
   The Wanderer