Re: Is there a way to know the ISP with the default installation of Stretch?

On Wed 03 Jan 2018 at 13:39:14 (-0500), Michael Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 10:36:32AM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> >I've read in this thread) that traceroute may provide a way forward:
>
> In general, no. Many ISPs use RFC1918 space internally, so you need
> to skip an unknown number of hops before you get to a routeable IP,

(In view of
do you mean public?)

> at which point you may or may not find an address that's assigned to
> the entity providing your internet access (as opposed to whoever is
> providing their internet access).

But in that case, would https://www.whatismyip.com/ reveal an address
closer to the OP than whoever is providing *their* internet access?
(IOW does https://www.whatismyip.com/ ever yield a private address?)

My idea of using traceroute (the example illustrated the private
address "problem") was not offered to provide a "solution" to
the problem, but only to suggest some means by which the OP
might decide whether to try using a particular service. But
I have no idea why the OP doesn't just try the service to see
whether it is supported, rather than playing guessing games
in advance. And as I posted earlier, I have no idea where the
OP obtained the string home.telecomitalia.it from, and they
haven't yet told us.

Cheers,
David.