Re: please help! debian won't boot

Jason Brenkus composed on 2017-12-13 23:02 (UTC-0800):

> By cursor what I mean is a flashing underscore line. I tried reinstalling
> grub2 using super grub. At first I didn't think anything happened, but now
> I'm getting more then a blinking cursor.  The screen now says #floppy0: no
> floppy controllers found
> # r8169 0000:03:00.0 eth0: link up
> # Ipv6: ADDCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready.

Did you try keying in Ctrl-Alt-F2 after seeing nothing more?

> I tried to record the script that show before this screen and it looks like
> there is a lot loading, but I saw one place in the script that had a red
> FAILED and it looks like it says #failed to start load kernel modules
> It would probably be easier to reinstall, but I'm trying to learn linux.
> Any more suggestions?

What did you mean when you wrote "recover mode"? Was that a Grub menu choice?
Were there any other menu choices available, such as prior kernel? You could try
appending to the main grub selection "plymouth.enable=0', and/or removing any
cmdline options mentioning modeset, quiet, splash, gfxmode, vga and/or video.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/