Re: please help! debian won't boot

Le 13/12/2017 à 10:54, Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă a écrit :
On 13-12-2017, at 01h 41'15", Jason Brenkus wrote about "please help! debian won't boot"
I am a novice to linux, and I'm in over my head. I'm not sure what went
wrong or went. I am running Jessie. On startup the pc begins to load and
then goes to a screen with nothing but a cursor. Then nothing happens no
matter how long i wait. If i boot in to recover mode i get a screen that
says #IPv6: ADDRCONF (NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready. And no
amount of waiting changes it. I had trouble getting the correct drivers for
my gpu which is a amd radeon r9 270 i believe. The last thing i did before
the system didn't boot was install a mining program.

Not knowing that is wrong I would reinstall grub.

IMO it would be a total waste of time. What makes you think that GRUB is broken ?

It is important to know if the system stops before or after

We already know. The above message happens when the ethernet interface is activated, which means that the kernel was loaded and started, the initramfs was loaded and did its job and the init system started its tasks.