Re: [OT] Relavant mailing list or USENET group

On 12/02/2017 01:37 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Sat 02 Dec 2017 at 13:17:14 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
On 12/02/2017 12:02 PM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Saturday, December 02, 2017 12:17:39 PM Richard Owlett wrote:
6. *NOT* be a "smartphone".

Well, I am curious about why you don't want it to be a smartphone,
and whether doing something like removing the SIM from a cell phone
(and possibly epoxying the socket) would meet your needs?

You might say it's the 3 P's ;/
[ Philosophical Practicality Prudence ]

Philosophical - application of Linux philosophy
 > As stated by McIlroy, and generally accepted throughout the Unix
community, Unix programs have always been expected to follow the
concept of DOTADIW, or "Do One Thing and Do It Well."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy#Do_One_Thing_and_Do_It_Well

Practicality - avoidance of Android
Most "smartphones" come only with Android which presumes someone who
has never met the user knows best what the user needs (let alone
wants) and then goes to great lengths to prevent the end user from
installing a suitable OS.

Practicality - possible regulatory constraints
~50 years ago I held a commercial operators license from the FCC and
later in RFI suppression and type acceptance (FCC & VDE). I've read
recent posts of a so called "SOS mode" active even when sim is
removed. I don't know how onerous compliance would be -- *NOT*
interested in wasting time and effort to pursue.

P.S. I have been described as "PERSISTENT" <chuckle;>

Consideration of smartphones seems to be going round in circles:

So let me ask a slightly different question. Given

2. have a physical form factor similar to a "smartphone".

A package of 3x5 cards meets that specification <snicker>
However its computational functionality and data storage are rather limited ;/

6. *NOT* be a "smartphone".

At a first pass not be what FCC describes as an "intentional radiator".
Not sure how much that applies to WiFi or Bluetooth, neither are of particular interest to me.

what would be the principal use of this device,

Anything a laptop might be used for.
*PLUS* ANYTHING where small size is beneficial.

who would it be aimed at,

Anyone who wants the compute power of Raspberry Pi/Beaglebone/etc who wishes to avoid mechanics of DIY.

and what would be the size of its market?

Probably less than world population.
I.E. who knows?

Cheers,
David.