Re: Handhelds that conviently run Debian

On Wed 08 Nov 2017 at 07:50:21 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On a regional mailing list I had described what I'm looking for as a
> tablet. That seems to include things that fold.  Although I *DON'T*
> want a "smartphone", that physical form factor is desirable. It must
> be available as "new" from a U.S. retailer.
>
> I have a preference for x86 processors, that is not a requirement.
> I would like to use with a USB keyboard.
> It will be used for simple data collection and data will be
> transferred to home system primarily via a USB flash drive.
>
> I suspect I've some unrecognized assumptions.
> Suggestions please.
> TIA

If you want a smartphone but don't want a smartphone, it sounds to me
as if you want a smartphone with no SIM card. It's possible that this
device will still be able to dial 911: my Galaxy 4 claims to be able
to do that, though understandably it's not something I've tested.
("They" still come out even if you hang up right away.)

If it's being tracked that you're worried about, then put it in
Airplane mode to prevent that. (Unfortunately that stops the FM radio
in the Galaxy from working, but not the music/video players.) And,
of course, you can always keep it turned off when not actually
collecting the data.

Cheers,
David.