Re: [OT] Relavant mailing list or USENET group

On 12/02/2017 12:02 PM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Saturday, December 02, 2017 12:17:39 PM Richard Owlett wrote:
6. *NOT* be a "smartphone".

Well, I am curious about why you don't want it to be a smartphone,
and whether doing something like removing the SIM from a cell phone
(and possibly epoxying the socket) would meet your needs?

You might say it's the 3 P's ;/
[ Philosophical Practicality Prudence ]

Philosophical - application of Linux philosophy
> As stated by McIlroy, and generally accepted throughout the Unix community, Unix programs have always been expected to follow the concept of DOTADIW, or "Do One Thing and Do It Well."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy#Do_One_Thing_and_Do_It_Well

Practicality - avoidance of Android
Most "smartphones" come only with Android which presumes someone who has never met the user knows best what the user needs (let alone wants) and then goes to great lengths to prevent the end user from installing a suitable OS.

Practicality - possible regulatory constraints
~50 years ago I held a commercial operators license from the FCC and later in RFI suppression and type acceptance (FCC & VDE). I've read recent posts of a so called "SOS mode" active even when sim is removed. I don't know how onerous compliance would be -- *NOT* interested in wasting time and effort to pursue.

P.S. I have been described as "PERSISTENT" <chuckle;>