Re: Debian, FF & NavyFed

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 14:15:57 -0500
Jack Dangler <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/19/2017 02:05 PM, Matthew Crews wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. My bank website suddenly stopped working with FF-ESR,
as in: opening the login page crashed the tab, and I got that stupid
Mozilla error message. Repeatedly, with or without advert and
JavaScript plugins enabled.

I tried Konqueror, which didn't crash but didn't work to login. I tried
Midori, which worked. For a while, I just used Midori for that site,
then one day, that didn't work either. Neither FF-ESR nor Konqueror
worked.

I tried FF on Win8, that was fine, so I installed upstream FF56 on
Debian and used that for banking. Unfortunately, the 'back' button
didn't work, making it unusable for most browsing, so I continued to use
FF-ESR(52) generally. Then one day, I tried FF-ESR on my bank site and
it worked, and has done for at least a month.

I haven't the slightest idea what has gone on, but I'm fairly sure
JavaScript is involved. There's no way a web page validator is going to
be able to test twenty or thirty bits of JS for correctness, and nobody
knows how to make web pages without it. More accurately, the various
web page design applications all use heaps of JS.

--
Joe