OT: Troubleshooting an IP device on a LAN from another LAN--would a VPN work?

This may become on-topic if I need to learn how to set up a VPN, and
especially if I have to have a non-computer savvy person at the other end
(using a Windows computer) do something to set up the VPN on their end.

I have a friend about 100 miles away with an IP device (specifically, an Obi
100 VOIP "converter") that is currently not working.  I found a workaround for
the recent problem caused by, iiuc, changes made by Google Voice which ObiHai
/ ObiTalk will not accomodate because the Obi 100 is obsolete (they say EOL:
End of Life).

Aside: The workaround for the most recent problem is to use a service from
simonics.com which basically converts between SIP (iiuc, the standard VOIP
protocol) and XMPP (which, again, iiuc, is more like something proprietary (or
at least special to Google Voice)--they charge a one time fee of $6 or less
for access to their servers that make that conversion--the access is
"perpetual" or until they go out of business (which they are not planning on,
afaict).

Oh, I guess I should mention that the other workaround is to buy a new Obi
device, in the 200 series, which will presumably work until they EOL that.

Back to the point:

I would like to try to help them fix their problems (they may have more than
one, because they say the Obi hasn't worked for several months).

I have started to send them emails with instructions initially to check
certain items (is the power light on, does the echo server work, ...) and give
me the results.  Later I expect to be telling them to go into various
configuration screens to make changes.

It would be easier if I could do something to access their Obi (on their LAN,
connected to the Internet via their cable provider) and check things and make
changes as needed.

Would a VPN do the job?

If so, give me some clues on how hard it might be to set up, both on my end,
and their end, where, as I mentioned, they use a Windows computer and are not
especially computer savvy.

If not, is their something else you can recommend?

Thanks!