Re: OT: Troubleshooting an IP device on a LAN from another LAN--would a VPN work?

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 23:47 <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
This may become on-topic if I need to learn how to set up a VPN, and
especially if I have to have a non-computer savvy person at the other end
(using a Windows computer) do something to set up the VPN on their end.

I have a friend about 100 miles away with an IP device (specifically, an Obi
100 VOIP "converter") that is currently not working.  I found a workaround for
the recent problem caused by, iiuc, changes made by Google Voice which ObiHai
/ ObiTalk will not accomodate because the Obi 100 is obsolete (they say EOL:
End of Life).

Aside: The workaround for the most recent problem is to use a service from
simonics.com which basically converts between SIP (iiuc, the standard VOIP
protocol) and XMPP (which, again, iiuc, is more like something proprietary (or
at least special to Google Voice)--they charge a one time fee of $6 or less
for access to their servers that make that conversion--the access is
"perpetual" or until they go out of business (which they are not planning on,
afaict).

Oh, I guess I should mention that the other workaround is to buy a new Obi
device, in the 200 series, which will presumably work until they EOL that.

Back to the point:

I would like to try to help them fix their problems (they may have more than
one, because they say the Obi hasn't worked for several months).

I have started to send them emails with instructions initially to check
certain items (is the power light on, does the echo server work, ...) and give
me the results.  Later I expect to be telling them to go into various
configuration screens to make changes.

It would be easier if I could do something to access their Obi (on their LAN,
connected to the Internet via their cable provider) and check things and make
changes as needed.

Would a VPN do the job?

If so, give me some clues on how hard it might be to set up, both on my end,
and their end, where, as I mentioned, they use a Windows computer and are not
especially computer savvy.

If not, is their something else you can recommend?

Thanks!

I think you have two options — a paid service like LogMeIn or OpenVPN.

LogMeIn is the easier option if a solution is considered worth money. Your friend would install LogMeIn on their Windows computer and you’d need a Windows, iOS or Android device on your end (I don’t think LogMeIn have a Linux client but check as I could be wrong). You’d remote control their Windows machine from your end and use it to ssh or whatever to the Obi.

If solutions must be free then I’d suggest to get the same effect with OpenVPN. This will take quite a bit more setup; the OpenVPN instructions are good but there are more steps, so if you want to go that way let us know and I’ll describe in more detail how I would do it.

HTH

Mark