Re: Repharsing [MATE Search Tool -- forcing a default search path]

On 12/10/2017 09:25 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2017-12-10, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

I have not discovered a pattern in how the default for "Look in folder:"
is determined.

Man page for Mate search tool says:

OPTIONS

--path=PATH
  Set the text of "Look in folder" search option

so presumably (hah!) editing the launcher to

 mate-search-tool --path=/

would do what you desire

I actually had read the man page.
My expectation of form of the answer left me not seeing the actual answer. I was looking at "MATE Search Tool" as a GUI. My presumption was that a GUI with choice from a drop down menu would have a means for changing the preferred choice from within the GUI.

Also the man page included the statement "For full documentation see the MATE Search Tool online help." If that was referring to the information that shows when pressing the "Help" button, I found it unhelpful.

(you have so many of them, though, desires,
some of which are so fastidiously exacting, I fear you can never truly
be satisfied).

I tend to expect my questions to be taken very literally. Threads on some some of my questions have degenerated after I yielded to request for information that had no relevance to MY question. Another problem occurs when I explicitly ask how use a specific GUI tool and I'm told to use a command line tool that does not have a choice of options including the option of the GUI.

But maybe you're like Sanchez with his historically consistent inconsistency, and
your chronic dissatisfaction is your deliberate personal form of satisfaction.

I don't get the reference.

Haha.

I generally wish to force that entry to be "File System".

TIA