Re: software to do drawings of houses, gardens, etc.

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 10:07:54 -0600
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu 23 Nov 2017 at 09:05:51 (+0000), Joe wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 02:05:14 +0100
> > Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Librecad seems good and I got it working
> > > instantly on a Debian box.
> > >
> > > Only how do I draw a box and then change the
> > > properties to specific side lengths?
> > >
> > > For example, if I want to picture a building
> > > that is rectangular (from above) with one side
> > > 10m and the other 5m?
> > >
> > > I managed to make an approximate rectangle with
> > > the "rectangle" tool but how do I bring up
> > > properties so that I can assign the
> > > exact values?
> >
> > The primitives such as rectangles are not objects as such, but
> > collections of lines. Lines can be extended and shortened, but it is
> > easier to draw the rectangle the right size to start with.
>
> Having spent two years watching our architects manipulate our house
> on screen, this doesn't correspond with my experience of CAD.
> We'd still have an empty yard if each rectangle had to be drawn
> the right size.

No, you can do practically anything imaginable, but someone beginning
will be better off taking a few steps at a time. You can certainly
select multiple objects and scale them all together, but much of the
time that's not what you want to do, you want to scale some of it and
move the rest unscaled. You can also bring in complete blocks, or make
blocks out of existing primitives, and then work on the whole thing more
easily, but at the expense of fine control of the parts.

It's the same with anything with a fairly fearsome number of bells and
whistles, such as the GIMP, quite intimidating at first meeting with
that kind of software. Gradually you learn to do more, and to find
easier ways of doing things you're currently doing the hard way.

--
Joe