Re: software to do drawings of houses, gardens, etc.

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 02:05:14 +0100
Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

> Librecad seems good and I got it working
> instantly on a Debian box.
>
> Only how do I draw a box and then change the
> properties to specific side lengths?
>
> For example, if I want to picture a building
> that is rectangular (from above) with one side
> 10m and the other 5m?
>
> I managed to make an approximate rectangle with
> the "rectangle" tool but how do I bring up
> properties so that I can assign the
> exact values?

The primitives such as rectangles are not objects as such, but
collections of lines. Lines can be extended and shortened, but it is
easier to draw the rectangle the right size to start with.

Watch the status bar for distances and angles from the last plotted
point. There is a toolbar icon to move the reference point without
drawing anything. There are scaling settings, which I never use as I
work to real sizes, but you will presumably need.

I use the snap selection toolbar heavily, which allows the kind of
snapping to be chosen: to ends of lines, gridlines and several others.
There are also switches to constrain movement to the vertical or the
horizontal. I normally use a guide layer, where I add useful lines to
make later constructions easier, this layer can be turned off except
when actually in use, and while visible, the snap tools work with
things on it.

> I made a search on Gmane (news.gmane.org) for
> "librecad" but apparently no mailing list is
> registered there. Also, on aioe (nntp.aioe.org)
> there seems to be no Usenet group dedicated to
> librecad. Now this speaks volumes.
> Aren't people using it?

Yes, though occasionally, not professionally. Any CAD is a bit
difficult to pick up, familiarity comes with time. I find this useful:
http://wiki.librecad.org/index.php/Main_Page

There's plenty of this kind of thing about:
https://flurry.dg.fmph.uniba.sk/webog/SuboryOG/bohdal/Librecad-%20by%20Jasleen_Kaur.pdf

Mr Google will answer many questions, and there's the odd YouTube
tutorial.

--
Joe