Re: Re: KVM PCI Passthrough NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti error code 43

Dear Alexander,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late response.
If I may ask you to reply to all and keep me in CC, this way I get the
email in my client and can easily answer.

> On 14.11.2017 02:37, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> > Thank you very much for your reply.
> > Interesting. I thought I was just not able to setup KVM / QEMU
> > properly. Because I read and heard that NVidia deliberately switches
> > the card off when the driver detects that it is virtualised.
> >
> > I am using the newest BIOS version (updated on Sunday) on the
> > motherboard:
> > Supermicro C7Z170-M
> > BIOS Version: 2.0a
> > BIOS Tag: 1088B
> > Date: 07/17/2017
> > Time: 15:51:37
> >
> > Unfortunately I do not know anything about a bioy\uefi firmware
> > bug. Is this a known issue of my mainboard version?
> >
> > In the BIOS for the "Boot mode select" setting, I have chosen
> > "Legacy" (there would also be "UEFI" or "DUAL"). Do you think it
> > might be worth trying to change it to the other two?
>
> I can't tell for sure if it will help. Basically, you have to enable
> VT-d, IOMMU in BIOS and stick with it.

I have enabled VT-d but could not find IOMMU in the BIOS.
But since:

> You can check if all features of QEMU are enabled on your host by
> typing: $ virt-host-validate

The command reports everything enabled.

virt-host-validate: https://pastebin.com/FUbNst11

> > I have uploaded dmesg output if it helps:
> > dmesg: https://pastebin.com/79Us7WMf
> >
> > In the Windows 7 guest, the reported IDs are:
> > VEN_ID: 10DE
> > DEV_ID: 1B06
> >
> > The driver version in the Windows 7 guest is:
> > 23.21.13.8813 (Date: 27.10.2017)
> >
> I'd try different versions of nVidia drivers, not only most recent one
> and perform clean install of the drivers.

Just to be sure: I do not need the drivers on the Debian host since the
GPU is passed through to the guest. I had clean installs of everything.
I will have to look at the weekend for an older driver and test it...

> > I have [...] postponed the purchase due to lack of patience.
>
> You can download and try Windows 10 for free and play with it for a
> 90-days trial period. Get the regular one, not LTSB.
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise
> Might be your best bet to try KVM with Windows 10 guest without
> spending any money.

Thanks for the tip. I created a Windows 10 Enterprise AMD64 guest.
Unfortunately with the same result.

Some other thing I was thinking: I read on the Supermicro homepage that
the C7Z170-M supports 7th generation i7s (like my i7-7700K). But in the
printed manual it was written that it only supports 6th Generation i7.
But then I gues it would not even boot up, if the CPU was not
supported. And the following findings also say otherwise.

To test if the card is not dead, I have just removed the nouveau
blacklist, and the options vfio-pci ids=10de:1b06,10de:10ef
in /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf.
After a reboot, I then installed nvidia-detect, nvidia-driver, and
nvidia-xconfig, as well as task-xfce-desktop on the Debian 9 host.
But when I booted, the display of the NVidia card remained black (just
like previously in the Debian guests). It is still possible to
Alt+Ctrl+F1 into a different terminal.
Then I reset the BIOS setting to the defaults and booted again into the
original Debian 9 host's XFCE4. This time it worked. I am now running
unigine benchmark and it runs quite well.

Now I think I do not understand the basic concept of PCI passthrough
correctly.
I have added again the /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf option and rebooted.
The nouveau driver was already blacklisted by a softlink
to /etc/alternatives/glx--nvidia-blacklists-nouveau.conf.
Probably I have to remove the nvidia-driver again to be able to reserve
the card for KVM?
First I set the primary video card in the BIOS to the internal
graphics of the mainboard/CPU.
Then I have retried it with Windows 10. Still no luck.

Not sure what to try next.
Thanks again for your much appreciated help and time.

Best regards,
Ramon