Re: KVM PCI Passthrough NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti error code 43

On 17.11.2017 03:57, Ramon Hofer wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I created a Windows 10 Enterprise AMD64 guest.
Unfortunately with the same result.

Some other thing I was thinking: I read on the Supermicro homepage that
the C7Z170-M supports 7th generation i7s (like my i7-7700K). But in the
printed manual it was written that it only supports 6th Generation i7.
But then I gues it would not even boot up, if the CPU was not
supported. And the following findings also say otherwise.

To test if the card is not dead, I have just removed the nouveau
blacklist, and the options vfio-pci ids=10de:1b06,10de:10ef
in /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf.
After a reboot, I then installed nvidia-detect, nvidia-driver, and
nvidia-xconfig, as well as task-xfce-desktop on the Debian 9 host.
But when I booted, the display of the NVidia card remained black (just
like previously in the Debian guests). It is still possible to
Alt+Ctrl+F1 into a different terminal.
Then I reset the BIOS setting to the defaults and booted again into the
original Debian 9 host's XFCE4. This time it worked. I am now running
unigine benchmark and it runs quite well.

Now I think I do not understand the basic concept of PCI passthrough
correctly.
I have added again the /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf option and rebooted.
The nouveau driver was already blacklisted by a softlink
to /etc/alternatives/glx--nvidia-blacklists-nouveau.conf.
Probably I have to remove the nvidia-driver again to be able to reserve
the card for KVM?
First I set the primary video card in the BIOS to the internal
graphics of the mainboard/CPU.
Then I have retried it with Windows 10. Still no luck.

Not sure what to try next.
Thanks again for your much appreciated help and time.

Best regards,
Ramon
How many video adapters in your host machine? In BIOS you have to select video adapter to be initialized first (ex. IGFX). It has to be other than GTX1080, and you can't use 1080 in your host OS if you want it to be passed through to guest OS. This is the reason why you need vfio stub drivers, to protect 1080 from host OS interference.

I think, I can't provide information on the subject more than what is in ArchWiki already.
Personally, I think nVidia's anti-VM driver protection is the cause of your problems. At least because you have proper VEN_ID&DEV_ID for the video card in guest OS, which means you did installation of stub drivers (vfio) right in host OS.
This article session suggests that last unprotected driver version was 337.88 which means you won't be able to install it on Windows 10 guest and your Pascal-based video card is not supported by it.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#.22Error_43_:_Driver_failed_to_load.22_on_Nvidia_GPUs_passed_to_Windows_VMs
So blindly installing previous versions of nVidia drivers won't work, and the next step should be to fool Anti-VM driver protection with workarounds described in this article section:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Troubleshooting

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀