Re: Wanted - a Debian SOHO NAS

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 01:44:32PM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, November 10, 2017 10:57:18 AM Reco wrote:
> > - Non-x86, and I don't need another kirkwood ARM.
>
> I'm curious, what is your objection to x86--is it power usage, or (maybe) less
> security than a non-x86 platform, or something else?

Current NAS lived 6.5 hours on UPS power once. That's with HDD power
management disabled.
Show me x86-64 solution that can do the same.

> And, for extra credit, what's the problem / story on the kirkwood ARM?

SATA speed is OK, but not stellar - 12.5 Mbps / 1200 IOPS on sequential
read from RAID5.
Advertized Gigabit ethernet is in fact 400 Mbps, but I can live with
that (see above).
CPU speed is horrid. You can forget running anything that's even python
(includes iotop), let alone something CPU hungry (CUPS, java, etc).
Amount of RAM is tiny by today's standards - 256Mb.

Last, but not least - they plan to ditch ARM4 in Debian (unless they did
it already). Kirkwood is ARM5.

Reco