Re: Wanted - a Debian SOHO NAS

	Hi.

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 11:17:14AM -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> On 11/10/17 07:57, Reco wrote:
> > I have this QNAP TS-412 box ...
> > [and] I'm looking for [a] replacement with the following treats:
> >
> > - Able to run Debian, stock kernel is strongly preferred.
> > - Non-x86, and I don't need another kirkwood ARM.
>
> CPU -- number of cores, number of bits, frequency, power saving features,
> cryptographic acceleration, random number acceleration, other?

Irrelevant. Crypto accelerator could be nice though.

> Memory -- slots, module type, form factor, capacity, speed, ECC, ranking,
> other?

512Mb minimum.

> > - Gigabit Ethernet.
>
> Quantity?  Aggregation?

At least one. No amount of bonding will allow me to exceed Cat5e
limitations, and fault tolerance is not a factor here.

> > - 4 SATA disk slots.
>
> SATA 1/2/3/3.x?

SATA 2 at least.

> Internal or external?  Cabled, trayed, trayless, other?

Internal, trayed.

> Drive form factor, height, capacity, performance (RPM, seek time, latency,
> IOPS, power consumption, other), other?

Form factor is 3.5''. And of course I'll purchase drives separately.

> Optical drive(s), system drive(s), L2ARC(s), ZIL(s), other?

N/a. I need conventional 4-bay home NAS without extras.

> > - I don't care whenever it's a box or a rack mount.
>
> Chassis material (steel, aluminum, plastic, other), finish (paint, anodized,
> raw, other?), size limits, weight limits, fans, noise, other?

Chassis material is irrelevant, size should not exceed standard 1U,
weight should not exceed 10 lbs (without HDDs).

> On 11/10/17 08:38, Reco wrote:
> > [Price range?]  <= $500
>

> On 11/10/17 09:01, Reco wrote:
> > power consumption ... [less than] 37-47 Watts
>

> Expansion card slots -- quantity, type (PCI, PCI-X, PCIe, other), height,
> depth, other?

None.

> Internal or external power supply?

External.

> Overall performance requirements -- capacity, throughput, latency, other?
> Now?  Next several years?

Capacity - 4 Tb.
Thoughtput - 30-40 Mb/s.
Latency - 20 ms is tolerable.
IOPS - 1200.

I'm not planning on SSDs, so these should be achieved easily.

> Lifetime?

3-4 years.

> Remote management?  When powered down?

No. That's strict no.
The only kind of out-of-band management I use is old trusty RS-232.
So no iLO or equivalent.

> Other?

n/a

Reco