Re: RAID 5 array with journal device does not automatically assemble at boot

On 8. Nov 2017, at 21:58, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tobx wrote:
>
>> VERBOSE=false
>
> perhaps set to true and see what it says.

The comment to this option states:
#   if this variable is set to true, mdadm will be a little more verbose e.g.
#   when creating the initramfs.

I tried that, but I did not see any difference.

On 8. Nov 2017, at 21:58, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
> According the docs [1,2] I overflew it is used only when creating an array.
> [3] says explicitly create, build or grow. For manage you should
> use --add-journal

Yes, I used the option only to create the array.

At linux-raid@vger.kernel.org I have got the information that this is most probably a bug and that the journaling feature is very new, but should be stable.

Now I decided to work around that problem. I prevent mdadm to auto-assemble the array with:

ARRAY /dev/md/test UUID=08ef559a:55c0f0ee:713cb429:c73d5a76

in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf and (not yet tested) try to assemble and mount the array in /etc/rc.local.

I hope this works.

Cheers,
Tobi