Re: Can imagemagick really be safely purged or removed?

On 30/10/17 15:46, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 08:28:46 -0400
> The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> Taking another look at package imagemagick-6.q16 (version 8:6.9.7.4+dfsg-16) it
>>> states that it provides imagemagick. Therefore, I don't understand what's going
>>> on on your system and there's nothing wrong with package cups-filters, I think.
>>
>> My guess involves vague memories of there being an issue with versioned
>> Provides: - although I thought that was more "you can't Provides: a
>> specific version", not "a versioned Depends: won't be satisfied by a
>> Provides: from a package with a suitable version number".
>
> I don't understand this stuff well enough to add anything to the
> conversation. All I know is that I still can't remove imagemagick
> despite the fact that imagemagick-6.q16 "Provides:" imagemagick.
>
> Celejar

imagemagick-6.q16 Provides: imagemagick, but not a specific version

cups-filters Depends: imagemagick (>= 6.4~)

The real imagemagick package is at 8:6.9.7.4+dfsg-11+deb9u1 (on my
machine anyway), which satisifies the cups-filters dependency.

The system doesn't know whether the version of imagemagick Provided by
imagemagick-6.q16 is new enough, so you still need the real package.

Richard