Re: Why does resolv.conf keep changing?

Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 12:24:32PM +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
>>
>> Actually, there's no need to duplicate the effort. As I understand it,
>> resolvconf is basically an optional helper program. Software that
>> automatically modifies /etc/resolv.conf should first test for the presence
>> of resolvconf (whether that be checking for the configuration directory of
>> resolvconf or checking that resolvconf is running or... however resolvconf
>> desires to be detected). If resolvconf is available, the changes are
>> co-ordinated through resolvconf, otherwise, /etc/resolv.conf is modified
>> directly.
>>
> In my case resolvconf is not installed/available and I want resolv.conf
> to be left alone.  I want any other package that thinks it needs to
> modify resolv.conf to leave it along.

But there *is* a way to do that: install resolvconf.

Granted, it might be nice if resolvconf had an easier way to configure a
static setup, but as it is now packages that need to access resolv.conf
should do this through resolvconf if it is available, so installing and
configuring it *is* the right way to handle this.

Mart
--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.