Re: Why does resolv.conf keep changing?

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 02:42:49PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> Still the open question remains: why is it being changed although
> the "immutable" attriibute was set?
>
> The OP says so, and we must believe that, [...]

I'm STILL waiting for the OP to give the most basic, fundamental details
like showing the output of lsattr /etc/resolv.conf to prove that his/her
assumptions are correct.  IIRC it took two days for us to get proof that
/etc/resolv.conf wasn't a symlink.

P.S. All this talk about "mobile devices are the new normal, so we have
to make everything 20 times as complicated, even for unmoving workstations
and servers" can go screw itself.

If Debian developers who are responsible for resolvconf are reading this,
and if they actually CARE about making things work correctly and sensibly,
then here is yet another proposal: give us a way to QUICKLY and EASILY
and RELIABLY tell resolvconf "never do anything".  I don't care where it
is, or what it looks like.  Just make SOME way to configure the system so
that /etc/resolv.conf is never touched in any way by ANYTHING.  Resolvconf
already intercepts all the incoming attempts to modify /etc/resolv.conf
by dhclient et al., right?  That's its entire purpose, right?  So just
give us a way to tell it to intercept those requests and do nothing.

If you don't do this, we'll just continue using chattr +i, because that
does what we want.  (Except for this one person who still hasn't proved
(s)he actually did it correctly.)