Re: when do I get a browsere that will do internet purchases?

On 20/10/17 07:59, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Thursday 19 October 2017 14:08:59 Dan Ritter wrote:
If you aren't invoking something else, perhaps you should be:
I find running upstream firefox reasonable:
https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-56.0.1-SSL&os=linux64&la
ng=en-US
and then unpack it and make sure you are running that particular
executable.

"linux64" suggests that this version is for amd64.

I have it AFU now. Unpacked it to my home/src directory, then tried to
run the updater in it.
Gets this:
ene@coyote:~/src/firefox$ ./updater
./updater: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-3.so.0: cannot
gene@coyote:~/src/firefox$ sudo ./updater
./updater: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-3.so.0: cannot
gene@coyote:~/src/firefox$
So: ldconfig -v | grep libgtk-3.so and pick this out of the mess:
        libgtk-3.so.0 -> libgtk-3.so.0.400.2
So its there, in: (locate output)
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0.400.2

So you only have the i386 libgtk-3.so.0, and not the amd64 libraries?

What do I do next?  This is wheezy, fully uptodate.

Alternatives:

(1) Upgrade to stretch. I recommend a fresh installation.

If you insist on staying on an unsupported release:

(2) Install libgtk-3-0:amd64. You must have some multiarch amd64 support installed or you would not have gotten as far as you did. The wheezy version is 3.4.2-7+deb7u1, which is much older than 3.22.11-1 on stretch. I have no idea whether the old version will work, but they should be binary compatible.

(3) Try downloading firefox for i386 to match your installed libgtk-3-0 libraries:

If you start from the homepage, you will be redirected to the download for the architecture matching your current browser:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

For i386 this should lead you to:
https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-56.0.1-SSL&os=linux&lang=en-US
(same as Dan's link above with the "64" removed.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director