Re: when do I get a browsere that will do internet purchases?

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 14:08:59 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 01:55:00PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Since the last update to firefox-esr, none of the usual internet
> > buying options work, or even show up after you've clicked add to
> > cart.
> >
> > clamav also claims that ~/firefox/browser/omni.ja is infected,
> > with but several re-installs of firefox-esr has not affected that.
> > Turned into clamav, as an FP, it was ignored because I assume its
> > not an FP.
> >
> > Can this please be looked at?
> >
> > I'd use chromium, but it does not remember firefox passwds that I
> > can find and recall for use again next week.
> >

> ~/firefox is not created by your debian-installed firefox-esr.
> Are you invoking something else?
>
> If you aren't invoking something else, perhaps you should be:
> I find running upstream firefox reasonable:
>
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-56.0.1-SSL&os=linux64&lang=en-US
>
> and then unpack it and make sure you are running that particular
> executable.

Agreed. Some time ago, FF-ESR started crashing the tab when I went to
the login page of my bank. I tried Konqueror, and it didn't crash, but
the login just re-showed the page. Midori worked.

Very recently, Midori stopped working, and an attempt from a Windows
machine with the current FF worked, so I installed from Mozilla, and
that worked fine on the bank login page, but the Back button didn't
work, and the right-click menu filled the entire page vertically. So
I've linked the upstream to the menu as Firefox-56 for bank use, and
reinstalled FF-ESR (52) from the repository for other uses.

This *is* sid, I suppose, but for a while it looked as if I'd have to
do my Internet banking from (gulp) Windows. OK, browsers have always
been something of a pain, but the number of scripts used frivolously
(i.e. for advertising) these days has become stupid, and I'm sure
that's where most of the trouble comes from. FF showing a Google
results page, or the Telegraph, will sit there eating most of a CPU.
And that's *with* No-Script running, with just the bare minimum
enabled for the page to function at all.

--
Joe