Re: Release files and Key rings

Release file you talking about is an encryption key that is used to check if package or repository is trusted.
There is a package (debian-keyring) with said keys that could be installed, so it will take care about changing keys in the future.
It looks like your keyring is unreadable by unprivileged _apt user. You can fix this by typing this command as root:
    chmod 644 /etc/apt/trusted.gpg

Here is minimum contents of "/etc/apt/sources.list" file that is required for apt-get to install packages from Internet:
#
deb
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch
main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
#
deb
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
#
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
#

Check contents of this file and replace them with these lines if necessary.
After that you should be fine. If not, show me output of these commands:
    apt-get update
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list