Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On 10/03/2017 03:53 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Tue 03 Oct 2017 at 13:30:11 (-0700), Gary Roach wrote:
OK Rico> I followed your instructions and still have the same
problem. Attached are the new files. Already installed were
isc-dhcp-client and resolvconf. You are right about the br1 entry
not being needed. the virtual machine works fine without it.

Perhaps you need to rereport your symptoms. Indeed, report them
at all: you said ping worked; pinging what? Can you ping the
loopback? the router? other local hosts, by number or by name?
8.8.8.8? "The same problem" doesn't cut it. At least you've now
got the external nameservers in your resolv.conf. And does your
router do DNS or not?

Cheers,
David.

Symptoms: Any package that needs access to the network sends an error message indicating that it doesn't have access to the internet. Ping doesn't work for names but does for ip addresses. All ip addresses both local and global.

In short, there doesn't seem to be any access to a name server. My believe that my Actiontec router at 192.168.1.1 also acts as a name server.

Thanks for the help

Gary R