Re: SOLVED - Re: xfce4-terminal fails to “pass through” environment variables

On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 02:42:08PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 08:31:59AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 08:35:43AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > This, dear reader assumes you are reading in monospace (Zenaan, I
> > > know you do, but think of those poor souls bound to a Web interface ;-)
> >
> > They are already in hell.  Nothing I can do to save them.

> > >           * *   *

> > >   * * * * *   *       *

> > >                     *
> > >
> > > (that makes roughly 20% failure rate on your sample, whatever
> > > that means).
> >
> > My results in screen-inside-urxvt match yours with one exception: the
> > last character on the first line appears as a symmetric pattern of lines
> > and dots for me.
>
> Ah, yes. That's what Emacs shows too. It's "REFERENCE MARK", kind of
> an X with four dots within the spaces between the arms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%80%BB
Komejirushi
The komejirushi (※; Japanese: こめじるし or 米印) is a punctuation
mark, that is used in Japanese and in Korean (known as 참고표). The
name literally means "rice symbol", indicating the similarity to the
kanji for rice; 米.
It is used to call attention to an important sentence or thought,
like a prologue or footnote. In contrast to the European asterisk, it
is not used for connecting a specific place in the text directly to
the footnote, but rather for notes directly before or after the
passage.
In Unicode the komejirushi is available at code point U+203B
"REFERENCE MARK". The symbol is also used to denote contradictions in
mathematical proofs.