Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On 09/25/2017 07:20 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 25/09/2017 à 15:54, Greg Wooledge a écrit :
On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 03:45:06PM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Prepare to be disappointed if you modify directly resolv.conf,
because the
software which wrote it first could rewrite it after you, as DHCP
clients do
each time they renew the lease.

In a battle between me and stupid new software programs, I always win
in the end.

I hope so. The user shall prevail.

I will do whatever it takes to make the software behave correctly,
even if what it takes is REMOVING the software.

For sure. But there is the forcible way and the graceful way.

Here is a little experience of mine.
I had a host configured with DHCP. As expected, dhclient wrote the IPv4
DNS addresses received from the DHCP server into resolv.conf. My network
also had an IPv6 router sending advertisements containing IPv6 DNS
addresses and I wanted that addresses to be included in resolv.conf, so
I installed rdnssd. Unfortunatly, both dhclient and rdnssd rewrote
resolv.conf, erasing the addresses added by the other. Either DNS
addresses worked, but it was not what I wanted. Then I installed
resolvconf and resolv.conf now contained both IPv4 addresses from
dhclient and IPv6 addresses from rdnssd.

Well the philosophy and stories are nice but my access to the internet is still among the missing. I have a Debian Stretch system installed and am using NetworkManager. This worked until I installed qemu virtual machine over the host OS. Since then the host system does not seem able to find a DNS server. The really strange thing is that I installed Kubuntu as the guest OS and that works fine. I suspect that qemu has glommed onto the eth0 device and won't let the host in. I have gone over and over the NetworkManager documentation and have found no way to fix this. The situation is getting critical. I need to load some software into the host system and can't, I also can't upgrade the system and can't.

I really need some help here.

Gary R