Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

Le 25/09/2017 à 15:54, Greg Wooledge a écrit :
On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 03:45:06PM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Prepare to be disappointed if you modify directly resolv.conf, because the
software which wrote it first could rewrite it after you, as DHCP clients do
each time they renew the lease.

In a battle between me and stupid new software programs, I always win
in the end.

I hope so. The user shall prevail.

I will do whatever it takes to make the software behave correctly,
even if what it takes is REMOVING the software.

For sure. But there is the forcible way and the graceful way.

Here is a little experience of mine.
I had a host configured with DHCP. As expected, dhclient wrote the IPv4 DNS addresses received from the DHCP server into resolv.conf. My network also had an IPv6 router sending advertisements containing IPv6 DNS addresses and I wanted that addresses to be included in resolv.conf, so I installed rdnssd. Unfortunatly, both dhclient and rdnssd rewrote resolv.conf, erasing the addresses added by the other. Either DNS addresses worked, but it was not what I wanted. Then I installed resolvconf and resolv.conf now contained both IPv4 addresses from dhclient and IPv6 addresses from rdnssd.