Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 03:14:02PM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Besides, resolvconf is required for the dns-nameservers option in
> /etc/network/interfaces to have any effect with static configuration. Don't
> you think it is better to have all the IP parameters (IP address, mask,
> gateway, DNS) in a single config file ?

No.

I think it's better for all the unix-like systems to work the same way
(the way that they have all done for the last 30+ years), rather than
each one doing something different.

Sadly, there was never any uniformity in how interfaces, IPs, netmasks
and routes are configured.  So, we just have to live with every system
being different for that stuff.

But /etc/resolv.conf is a universal standard.  You can log into ANY
unix-like system and see what nameservers it's using, and correct them
if they're wrong (though you may need to remove the chattr +i bit before
you can write to the file).