Re: no sound on Lenovo Ideapad 110

On 2017-09-28, Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@gmail.com> wrote:

>     So, the problem is not with the plug, as generally it must unplugged
>     to get the sound through the speaker.

I suppose it is possible that the sensing circuitry or switch (?) in the
headphone jack is faulty or failing so that when you pull the headphone plug
out of the jack socket the audio signal isn't being switched to the speakers,
the plug's absence failing to be detected (or its presence continuing to
be).

I wonder if this hypothesis could be tested in software; it seems you can
do something like

 cat /proc/asound/card1/codec#0 | grep Pin-ctls
(if your sound card is card1 as mine is)

and look for values of "Pin-ctls=in" or "Pin-ctls=out"

I obtain these values:

  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
  Pin-ctls: 0x20: IN
  Pin-ctls: 0x20: IN
  Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80
  Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80
  Pin-ctls: 0x20: IN
  Pin-ctls: 0xc0: OUT HP VREF_HIZ
  Pin-ctls: 0x20: IN
  Pin-ctls: 0x20: IN
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT

But they remain the same whether I have my headphones plugged in or not
(I have no speakers).

Anyhow, this is probably a very wild goose chase and a waste of our
precious time.

--
"A simpering Bambi narcissist and a thieving, fanatical Albanian dwarf."
Christopher Hitchens, commenting shortly after the nearly concurrent deaths